Friday, January 7, 2011

the loot

Back in Oklahoma, I did a little reading about how local, organic produce can solve all the world's problems and decided that I wanted to become a supporter. I did my best to attend farmer's markets during summer weekends, only to find that some of the items there had stickers claiming they were a "product of Mexico." Hmm.

Here in Naples, there are produce stands galore. At first, I thought, "Yay! Now, I am equipped and ready to start saving the world by purchasing local produce!"

Then, something happened. I went to grocery markets and always bought produce there. It was right there. So convenient! But, more costly. Today, after living here for nearly six months, I finally stopped at a stand I've had my eye on. It's right on the side of the road on our way home, but there is nowhere to park. Nowhere to even stop. So, every time I've driven past it over the last couples of months, I've slowed down to plot my plan of attack. I found a tiny road thing where I stopped the car, threw on the flashers, grabbed the kid, dodged the oncoming traffic, and grabbed my loot. Unfortunately, my plan of attack did not involve a plan for getting out of my makeshift parking spot, so I daringly had to back out into that oncoming traffic and zoom away. It was scary.

But, oh, was it worth it. I got apples, pears, eggplant, lettuce, onion, mushrooms, broccoli, and fresh basil for only 5 Euro. And, who knows, maybe one less trace of carbon is in the air since my apples didn't have to get shipped all the way from Mexico!

We just won't talk about all the exhaust from the cars going by, the trash on the street, and the harmful chemicals that are supposedly in the soil here...

Nor will we talk about the fact that I paid for the food, which technically means it is not a loot. Just an expression. Sorry of any confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment