Thursday, April 28, 2011

sweet home alabama


 My daddy is from a little 'ol town in Northern Alabama named Cordova. Home of the Blue Devils. 

He picked up and moved to Wyoming back in his hippie days, so that's where he ended up having and raising me. Eventually, he moved back to his roots, but that was long after I was out of the house, so I never got the chance to live down South. It still holds a very dear place in my heart because we always took the time and money to visit it. My whole life, Alabama has been a place to look forward to, a place to long for, a place of refuge and vacation.

For me, Alabama is banana puddin', sittin' in Grandma's living room, playin' with cousins who had funny accents, honey-butter on homemade biscuits, Grandpa playin' guitar, Grandma's sweet tea, long games of poker around Grandma's table, cornbread, fishin', hikin' in the bluffs, baseball, humidity, lots of huggin', air conditioning, and, of course, fried green tomatas.

It's a place where Grandma and Grandpa Howell lived good, long lives and are now buried right next to each other along with many of my ancestors. It's a place that always makes me feel at home, even though I've never lived there.

My heart is aching for Alabama and especially Cordova right now. Much of the town was blown away by the storms. As far as I know, all of my family members are okay and they are taking care of each other.


To all my family, I feel really far away from home right now and wish I could give ya'll big hugs... I'm sending hugs and prayers from afar...

 I pray that you can soon find peace.

Love ya'll.

1 comment:

  1. I thought of you and your dad's family when I heard about the terrible storms. I'm glad to hear your family is okay!

    ReplyDelete