Wednesday, August 31, 2011

a perfect Sunday


One of my favorite things to do is look out my window and watch the boats going to and from Ischia. I especially love when the boats turn orange as the sun goes down.

All summer, I have spent hours daydreaming about being on one of those boats with my hair whipping in the breeze and the taste of salt water on my lips. I imagined myself jumping out to snorkel. I imagined sitting in one of the natural hot pools, and then eating seafood at one of the magnificent restaurants that are only reachable by boat.

As fate would have it, I got a call from a friend saying he'd rented a boat to spend Sunday boating around Ischia and he wondered if we wanted to join him and his family.

Obviously, we said yes.

The waters were "a little rough," as our friend's two-year-old kept reminding us, so I was very happy when our friend told us he has a boat captain's license. More than once, I thought I was going to toss my cookies, or that we were going to capsize, or that I would just get swept away and fall out of the boat. I noticed  my kid screaming, "Wahoo! Weee! Ahhh! Yeeehaaaw" with every bump we hit. I decided to join him and just sit back and enjoy myself. Churning pregnant stomach and all. Remembering that the guy driving the boat had some experience and knew what he was doing allowed me to enjoy it all the more. 

I think this might be a good time to interrupt this riveting story to tell you that the photos in the post were taken with the iphone because I didn't want to risk the camera on the boat.  I blame the finger on the waves.



We did make it to a restaurant where we had to park the boat, but the waters were so rough that I thought we wouldn't make it. I was worried we might bash our heads into the rocks or lose a kid to one of the waves (pregnancy and motherhood cause me to have strange, sometimes dramatic, and always irrational fears). Little did I know that our captain was quite innovative and determined. Before I could even begin to think straight, he got that boat parked and got us all (including an infant) onto dry land without any injury. Don't ask me how he did it. All I know is that I was of no help and that 007 was a good assistant to the captain.

Thanks to Will and 007's innovation and determination, we were able to eat an obscene amount of delicious seafood amongst good company.

Then we snorkeled in the waters, and I spent some time in a natural hot spring and all was right with the world.

Thanks again to Captain William for giving me a perfect Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment