Thursday, April 26, 2012

happy hour


They have this interesting thing here in Italy called "riposo," which means "rest." I'm sure you've heard of the Spanish version called "siesta." It's a time in the early afternoon where everything just stops. Shops and the streets are empty. People are at home eating lunch and resting. Cafes are usually open, but rarely do you find anyone ordering drinks. Some towns even feel like ghost towns during this time. It sometimes feels plain eerie.

Suddenly, around 4 or 5 in the afternoon, shop doors begin opening, the streets fill with customers, kids are playing out kicking soccer balls, and cafes start hoppin'. People are ordering espresso, gelato, or cocktails and sitting outside to drink them. Everyone appears to be enjoying life. It is my favorite time of day in Italy.

While my mom was here, we called this time "happy hour" and made sure we stopped whatever we were doing each day to have a treat around 4 or 5 pm. The treat was usually delicious cappuccino. Even if we were at home, we'd whip up some homemade cappuccinos or pots of tea. We'd sit and relax and talk and enjoy the afternoon. It was good for our bones, our brains, and our souls. It would leave us feeling rejuvenated and ready to conquer whatever the evening had in store. You ought to try it sometime. Especially if your mom's around to enjoy it with you.

Now that I'm done, I'm not sure why I felt so compelled to share that with you. Maybe I just want to remember it for myself. Or, maybe I just miss my mom...

I've still got a couple of stories to share with you from when she was here. Bear with me as I find time to write them.........

No comments:

Post a Comment