Tuesday, March 8, 2011

festa della donna


Today is a special day in Italy, and that's not only because it is Martedi Grassi (Fat Tuesday), which needs no explanation. It is also "Festa della Donna," or Woman's Day.

This day originated in 1908 when a group of women working in a factory in New York started a strike to protest against the horrible working conditions. Many of these women were from Italy. Apparently, on March 8th, 1908,  the factory owner locked all the women inside the building. Somehow, a fire started, and many women died that day. They died fighting for justice and dignity. To honor these women, March 8th has become International Woman's Day. Here in Italy, yellow flowers called mimosas are given by men to women.  It was fun to see them being sold on all the street corners today.

It is, quite simply, a day to celebrate being a woman. Due to commercialization and whatnot, this day has also become a day for women to go out and cut loose. Women who normally do not go out will go have a wild, "girl's night" on Festa della Donna.

I started making a list in my head of all the women I would like to celebrate with today by having a "girl's night." The list just kept growing and growing and growing, and I began to feel overwhelmed with gratitude for all the incredible women in my life.

Obviously, my list included you. So, if you are reading this and you are a woman, go out a do something crazy for me tonight.

I will be thinking of you as I attend a Martedi Grassi costume party with my friend, Rebecca. We're letting Tony come, too, because life is always more fun when Tony and I are together.

Happy Mardi Gras, Martedi Grassi, Fat Tuesday, and Festa della Donna to ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment