Thursday, October 20, 2011

all the things I need to tell you


 Have I told you about my internet fiasco? Stop me if I've already mentioned it. The short of it is that we are being penalized with a very slow connection for exceeding our download limit that I never knew existed. I was under the impression that my connection would be back to normal by now, but it is not. I know I'm being whiny and ungrateful by saying this, but the slow connection really is making me go insane. I can't talk to anyone on skype. It takes years to upload pictures to blog about. And, worst of all, Googlemaps takes FOR EV ER to load, and I really need Googlemaps in my life as I plan these Italian adventures with my grandparents. Okay, I'm done. I know. I sound like a spoiled brat. Sorry.

Then, there was the license plate fiasco. Oh my goodness gracious, people. Somehow, my rear license plate fell off while I was driving to Rome to get my grandparents. We got pulled over on the way home from Rome, so I went straight to the motor vehicle office on the base the day after we got home from Rome (I rhyme) thinking that they would just simply give me a new plate. But, that would be far too simple for this place. The MVRO lady told me I had to make a report to the security office before I could get new plates. After adding all possible details to the story of my missing plate in the security report, the security officer told me I had to then make a report with the Caribinieri (the Italian officials), which required making an appointment with the crime investigator office on the base so that someone could take me to the Caribinieri office. Well, I just didn't have time to do that on that particular day and the security officer assured me there was no hurry, so I drove away without a rear plate. I got pulled over again and the police officer told me I was not allowed to drive in the city without a plate. Duh. Eventually, I made an appointment, reported everything to the Caribinieri as if some crazy crime had happened to me or something, then drove to Assisi. Got pulled over again in Assisi, because, you see, I still had no plate, because, you see, the MVRO office did not have time to get me one on the day I made the report. Fast forward a few days after Assisi. I walk into the MVRO with aaaalllll the proper paperwork and my front license plate, and the lady says to me, "Um, do you have Power of Attorney for your husband, because he should really be the one to sign the papers." I think steam was coming out of my ears, but I kindly replied to the lady, "Well, I don't know if it's current, but I've had Power of Attorney in the past. My husband has absolutely no time to come sign these papers. Will you please just let me do it?" I think she sensed my desperation, because she allowed it, and finally I got myself some dadgum license plates.

Which reminds me. I need to tell you about Tony's work fiasco. He's been working until well past 10pm each night this week, then getting up and leaving by 7 am. One night, he didn't make it home until 2 am. Tomorrow, he leaves for Africa where he will work his heart out for a week. It's been crazy. I really do feel sorry for him.

In the meantime, I've been entertaining my grandparents with things like ultrasounds! They got to see their great-grandbaby wave to them on the screen. It was quite magical. Neither of them had ever seen a live ultrasound (only pictures). I think it really blew their minds to see that little heart a pumpin' away in there! It blew my mind, too! I am happy to report that our baby currently has two arms, two legs, a heart, a brain, a spine, kidneys, and fingers and toes. Whether it has a penis or a vagina will not be known until the day it is born. Sorry, Aunt Libbey. You'll just have to wait.

Hmm, what else was I going to tell you? Oh, yes, Assisi. It was, well, awesome is the word that is coming to me, to see the looks on my grandparents' faces as the stories of Saint Francis and Saint Claire were unfolded before their eyes. It's exactly why I told them I wanted to be their tour guide and did not allow them to go on any bus tours of Italy. I want to see them experience this place and soak it all in.

Then, there was Perugia and the giant chocolate festival. Pure insanity. Totally crowded with lots of wind. Not a good combination, but my grandparents took it in stride and we all managed to have a really good time. We sampled some good chocolate and ate the famous sandwiches from a street vendor. My grandpa just kept looking around and exclaiming, "Amazing!"

Whelp, I think I'll leave it at that, folks. I've got some laundry to fold, a husband to talk to, a trip to pack for, and a bed to get to so I can take my fancy new license plates and drive to Orvieto tomorrow.

Have a great night, ya'll.

And, as usual, thanks for listening to me ramble on.

No comments:

Post a Comment