Monday, October 31, 2011

an abbreviated recap of our road trip

Since we're about to head out on another trip on Wednesday, I thought I'd better finish telling you about our last trip. Sorry it's taking me so long to fill ya'll in. I'm just having way too much fun gabbing and touring with Grandma and Grandpa to take the time to sit down and write.

After perusing Venice for a couple of days (where we did not get lost), we skipped on over to a quiet beach town on the Adriatic coast called Pesaro. By quiet, I mean completely boarded up and closed down for the winter. Italians do not touch the beach if the temperature is below, say, 80 degrees Fahrenheit. It's against their religion.

So, we had a smashing good time with the sand all to ourselves.

 
 As my grandparents were planning their trip, they pretty much told me I could take them wherever I wanted to go. They said they trusted me. The only request my grandma made was to see any place "where miracles occurred." One time, she sent me an email asking if we could go over to Lanciano, where it is believed that a Eucharistic miracle happened a long, long, long time ago.

So, that is where I took her.

Lanciano turned out to be another little quiet town. We managed to show up right at "riposo" time, which is when all businesses and churches shut down from 1pm to 3pm or so. It was a struggle to even find an open lunch joint, but we did it! That's where we met up with a pilgrim group from Singapore. All the pilgrims fell in love with Graham and started snapping his photo, and the priest took a liking to my grandma, and before we knew it, we were attending a private mass with them right under the miraculous Eucharist.



I'm pretty sure Grandma will write about that experience in her journal. Or her non-existent scrapbook. What I'm trying to say is that she will never forget it. It was very memorable.

Well, geeze, look at the time! I need to go make this crew some dinner.

Have a good time eating lots of candy today!

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment