Wednesday, September 29, 2010

strange day


Não jogue lixo no mar, originally uploaded by El Onofre.

Have you ever been on a retreat? Or even a vacation? And when you returned, did you realize that the rest of the world continued to turn and function while you were lost in some other world, but not the same world as everyone else? And did it take you awhile to get your head on straight and remember what day it is?

After months of being on permanent vacation and having no real appointments or deadlines, I finally managed to put some clothes on and arrange to go to my dental appointment that I scheduled about a month ago. We had to make sure Tony had a ride to work this morning so I could have the car, and I had to be sure to leave our bungalow on time to fight the traffic and get there 30 minutes early.

I knew the day was not off to a good start when I awoke to the sound of fireworks (remind me to tell you about Naples and fireworks) about an hour later than I intended on waking. Luckily I managed to make it to the appointment in the nick of time only to find that today is indeed the 29th and not the 30th, which is when my appointment is scheduled for.

The rest of my errands went about as well as the dental appointment, so I headed to Subway (weird) for a sandwich, since I was on the base and they have Subway there, and ended up getting some Doritos (yes, you heard me right) and a, a, a, a, a, well, a, a, a Diet Coke--or, Coca Cola Light, which is what they call it here--? (What?)

Right then and there I decided to cancel my dental appointment that is scheduled for tomorrow (not today) and return to our bungalow and never leave my permanent vacation ever again.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katherine!!!! I absolutely LOVE reading about your adventures and seeing your gorgeous photos. CocaCola Light...doesn't it sound fancier than Diet Coke? I also remember it tasting slightly different. But that could just be based on where in the world it is canned, I suppose. Hope that things go well with the move next Monday! Enjoy that lovely pool until then! Benjamin is THREE tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete