Wednesday, August 25, 2010

reality is striking


P1030675, originally uploaded by akblaine.

When I'm explaining to my son what a well is and how it works while standing amidst temples built for goddesses, I have to pinch myself a thousand times and ask myself, "Is this real?"
So many of my dreams are coming true by being allowed this opportunity to live in Italy, but even here in my dream-come-true, reality is managing to strike. Each day, the reality that I will not be able to pursue my counseling career becomes sharper and sharper. Yesterday, I received an email from a friendly woman in the Fleet and Family Support office telling me that there are no counseling positions available, and even if there were, I couldn't get one, because I am not fully licensed, yet. I knew what I was getting myself into when we decided to move to Italy, but I was not willing to accept it as fact that I would not be able to work in the field of my dreams. I knew that I might have to put it on hold and either be a stay-at-home mom, which is not my strong suit, or do some other job just to pass the time. I held out hope, though, lots of hope, that I would be able to counsel in some capacity. In fact, I'm still holding onto hope. I am going to meet with aforementioned friendly woman tomorrow morning to see what other jobs are available and how I go about getting them. I figure it can't hurt to get some positive vibes sent this way, which is where you come in. Please focus a little positive energy this way so that no matter what my reality turns out to be during our time here, I can embrace it and do the best I can with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment